[MEncoder-users] 3 passes encoding failures.

Phil Ehrens phil at slug.org
Tue Jan 30 18:42:21 CET 2007

DEF wrote:

> I thought at one time, they told us that three pass
> encoding is  deprecated.
> So this is not more the case, right?

Gee, I hope not, because I have been using it recently
to very good effect. I did a 4-pass recently because
it was necessary to squeeze something into 1200 kbps
that had a few short high-motion scenes, and at 4 passes
it just managed to deblock some flapping clothes on a
guy riding a bicycle in a handheld panning shot. Very
cool. The result totally floored everyone who saw it.

I just happen to have a sample frame from it, comparing
it to the original dvd, because we were discussing a
goof I made to the aspect ratio. It also happens to have
used nr=200. The lower image is from the original dvd,
the upper one is from the 1200kbps lavc encode:

http://www.ligo.caltech.edu/~pehrens/nr-200_denoising.jpg

Sorry, I don't have any comparisons of a high-motion
scene.