[MEncoder-users] working on mencoder script

Joe Emenaker joe at emenaker.com
Tue Jan 23 06:44:08 CET 2007

listman wrote:
> I'm working on a new mencoder script and was wondering if anyone would be
> kind enough to offer up there best mencoder command for ripping dvds. My
> script is mainly going to be set up to rip dvd's to the HD. Right now it
> pulls the title and longest chapter from the dvd and then gives you 10
> different formats to choose from. I'm working on getting cropdetect to
> work with one of the formats but I'm not quite there yet..

I'm working on the same kinda thing.  It's a little different, though.
My primary use for it is ripping DVD's for use in a portable player
(like an Archos or iPod).

The general idea is that you'd tell it what device you want to use it on
(which would auto-select a resolution, container-type, and AV codecs)
and a quality (like "LOW","MEDIUM","HIGH","INSANE"... kinda like the
Lame encoder presets). The quality presets won't just adjust the
bitrate, but also whether to use various options for each encoder (like
"trellis", "vhq","qpel", 2 or 3 pass, etc).

It'll also allow you to specify multiple streams and it'll concatenate
them (ie, "myripper --target ipod --quality high  dvd://1  dvd://2
/tmp/ending_credits.mpg") and it will crop-detect each one.

If this is very congruent with what your aims are, perhaps we can
combine our efforts.

- Joe