[MEncoder-users] h264 3-pass mode

Joe Emenaker joe at emenaker.com
Wed Jan 17 01:57:59 CET 2007

The Wanderer wrote:
> No. 'pass=2' is for when you will be doing exactly two passes. When you
> will be doing more than two passes, every pass except the first one
> should use 'pass=3'.
>
> The syntax is slightly confusing,
"Slightly"?
> but I was unable to think of a better
> one which would fit the circumstances at the time; apparently no one
> else was either, so there you have it.
Well, I'm guessing that the circumstances were that you had to be
compatible with the existing ("pass=2" means last pass) syntax for the
two-pass encoders? If that's true, how come you couldn't support
something like "pass=1of3", "pass=2of3", and "pass=3of3". Or, if you can
do an arbitrary number of middle passes, then why not "pass=start",
"pass=intermediate", and "pass=end"?

- Joe