[MEncoder-users] Bits per pixel, bitrate and resolution

Joe Emenaker joe at emenaker.com
Sat Jan 13 06:26:49 CET 2007

Jeff Clagg wrote:
> I don't think bpp is very useful for ANYTHING:

Well, I use it for *one* thing... and you can tell me if you think that
I'm crazy here. The vids that I download off of the net come in all
kinds of crazy containers and formats. I like to keep them on a network
drive so that I can get to them from all machines in the house, but I
don't want to have to install a bunch of obscure codecs on every
machine. So, I decided to re-encode *everything* to xvid/mp3, preserving
resolution and bitrate of the source. I wrote a script which does
this... but it also calculates what the resulting bpp would be and the
script only proceeds if the bpp is within a certain range. If it's too
high, then I figure I'm wasting bitrate on quality I'm not going to
notice. Too low, and there was probably a miscalculation somewhere,
since the resulting quality will probably be unwatchable.
> - if you must have a rule of thumb, you would be better served by an
>   understanding that, all else being equal, bitrate should scale in
>   proportion to the SQUARE ROOT of the number of pixels

I'm intrigued! Do you have any docs that you can point me to which
discuss the reasoning for this?

- Joe