[MEncoder-users] Aspect distortion converting dvb-t files

José Gabriel Moya Yangüela josemoya at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 17:09:53 CET 2007

Hello!

I've got a problem converting pvr files.
When I play the original pvr recorded file, they are (gracefully) displayed
as a 4:3 movie, despite of video size:

* Windows media player says video size is 480 x 576, aspect ratio is 4:3
(according to video size, it is 18:15)
* WinAmp says video size is 480x576, and says nothing about aspect ratio.
* Mediaplayer classic says it is MPEG2 Video 480x576 (4:3)
* mplayer says it is MPEG2 480x576  (aspect 2), but it gracefully renders it
with correct aspect 4:3 (despite of mplayer -identify showing
ID_VIDEO_ASPECT=0.00)

But, when I convert it, it has some chances to be rendered as 15:18
(portrait aspect, about 480x576) instead of 18:15 (576x480).

If I use -force-avi-aspect, I see the desired 4:3 image in mplayer, but all
other media players show a 15:18 (portrait) video.

I've tried aplying the "scale" filter, but it distorts the image.

Sometimes aspect is corrected using 'mencoder pvr://file...' instead of
'mencoder file...', but sometimes it does not work.

I'm sure this strange 480:576 (15:18) aspect ratio has something to do with
dvb standards, because of all players showing correct aspect ratio when file
is of type mpegpes, but failing when it is converted.

Some hint?

Yours,
josemoya