[MEncoder-users] Time to encode a typical DVD to xvid

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Wed Jan 3 00:28:26 CET 2007

sfullenwider wrote:
> How long does it take most people to encode a typical DVD to an xvid
> avi?  It's taking me around 15 hours a pass, which just seems far too
> much to me.

That depends on many factors, largely:

- CPU type and speed
- resolution of the movie being encoded
- length (in frames) of the movie being encoded
- what xvid options you're using
- whether or not you had nasm when you compiled xvid

Take note of that last one; it turned out to be the problem in a few
other cases I've seen.

If you still think your encoding is slower than it should be, then do this:

1. Find and download a publicly-available video clip.
2. Re-encode that clip; time how long it takes.
    $ time mencoder video-clip.avi ...
3. Send us:
    a. the source clip's URL
    b. your mencoder command line
    c. the full output of mencoder and the output of time
    d. your CPU type and speed

-Corey