[MEncoder-users] need to add audio to movie question

DEF shaker_doc at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 21 18:29:58 CET 2007

--- Tom Poe <tompoe at fngi.net> wrote:

> DEF wrote:
> > --- Tom Poe <tompoe at fngi.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I used:
> >> .ogg audio file
> >> *.png images for video
> >> ran:
> >> mencoder mf://*.png -delay 20 -mf
> >> w=320:h=240:fps=5:type=png -ovc copy
> >> -audiofile Open_Studios_theme.ogg -oac copy -o
> >> test.avi

> DEF:  Thanks.  I've got the song on a CD, so I
> should be able to extract
> and save it in whatever format.  What do you
> recommend I use?  wav?

mencoder can already generate the compatible mp2 file
or mp3 file from the ogg file. so it does not really
matter the format from which you want to read it with
mencoder.

> have .png images, but can change that to .jpg if
> that is better.
I have always done that from .jpg files but some times
on the mplayer list, the group had thought that .png
was better. in some circumstances I think so too,
because I get better results with .png at times.
>I want
> to put video podcasts on my site, so I want the best
> format to have the
> widest range of players be able to play it.  What do
> you recommend?

In that case, vcd compatible mpeg1 files like you had
generated with your lavf command will be ok. From my
personal experience, I think you will get more players
to play an mpeg1 file when you use the mencoder native
muxer.  I do something like this, (which is not
however documented, and better still vcdimager will
not complain if you ever use it with the generated
files)
"mencoder -of mpeg -mpegopts *format=vcd* -oac lavc
-ovc lavc -lavcopts ...................etc  "

DEF