[MEncoder-users] Next-Gen YouTube type question.

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sat Feb 3 07:34:28 CET 2007

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 11:15:26 -0800
"Steve" <gateway at tietze.com> wrote:

> I disagree, it seems that flash is the best choice for any sort
> Of major audience.  (windows, unix, mac and most all browsers have
> A flash player)

Flash is very iffy.  You can get Flash for Solaris/Sparc, but not
Solaris/Intel...  Linux, but not BSD (at least, without emulation)...
etc.

For Linux, you can expect it to work on x86, but not
PPC/Alpha/Sparc/et al.

Plus, even though there is "flash" on platforms other than Win/Mac,
they're usually several months behind.  Until just a week or so
ago, Linux users were several versions behind, and couldn't watch recent
FLVs with VP6 video.

> Codecs but it playback on almost anything with out much cpu hit.

I was just talking to someone yesterday, who was complaining that the
Flash player uses up 50% CPU time just to playing tiny youtube videos.

I avoid Flash like any other malicious code...  It has a history of
long-unpatched remote exploits, ridiculous CPU load, causing
instability, and just generally being a crappy option.  That, and its
widespread use in the most irritating ads around doesn't exactly make me
want to install it.  It's a crappier video player than any of the
alternatives as well, so I don't see the attraction.

If you want compatibility, stick with MPEG-1.  Absolutely any video
program will be able to play it, and it handles streaming just fine.