[MEncoder-users] MPEG-2 muxer

Nicolas Hesler nicolas.hesler at sheridanc.on.ca
Mon Aug 27 22:03:46 CEST 2007

Nico Sabbi wrote:
> Nicolas Hesler wrote:
>

>> Can you recommend a method by which you could use Mencoder as the
>> encoder, retain sync as much as possible and end up with 2 files (m2v
>> and ac3)?
>>
>> Thanks for this.
>>

> getting the audio and video files is as easy as running
> mencoder -of rawaudio  and mencoder -of rawvideo
> on the final mpeg file, but your question shows that
> you didn't understand the problem: whenever you demultiplex
> the mpeg file you are likely to introduce desynchrony

Is this desynchrony due poor muxing/encoding on the part of the original
encoder?

Is there demultiplex software that can "fix" the streams to be in sync?
(if that makes sense)

I'm transcoding high bitrate, high res. (1280x720) MPEG2 video to DVD
compliant MPEG2 video.  The source contains PCM audio and I'm
transcoding to AC3 audio.

I hope I'm not sounding dense. I'd like the understand the problem and
learn if there is a solution to this, since several DVD authoring
programs only readily accept separate audio and video files.