[MEncoder-users] indexes and file sizes

Unknown list-catcher at hellburner.com
Sat Aug 25 18:00:05 CEST 2007

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 14:01:03 +0200
Nicolas George <nicolas.george at ens.fr> wrote:

> Le septidi 7 fructidor, an CCXV, Unknown a écrit :
> > In continuing in my search to find out why mencoder sometimes gives
> > me files with no indexes I've notice that if I use a higher value
> > of qp, say jumping from 22 to 25 indexes reappear.  Does anyone
> > know if there is a correlation with file sizes and indexes?  Is
> > there a limit to the size an AVI file can be?
>
> There is a size limit for AVI, and extensions to go beyond. Mencoder
> is able to use these extensions, I have produced AVI bigger than 5 Go
> with mencoder.
>
> What is the exact size of the file when the encoding stops? What
> filesystem are you writing them to? What is the exact operating
> system?

I'm using Gentoo, Linux, writing to an EXT3 filesystem.  For a
reencoding of specific file, I get no indexes somewhere between 2.2
gigs and 1.4 gigs. But, rencodes of other files larger than 2.2 have
indexes.  I'm encoding in x264 and controlling the file sizes with the
qp option.  That is the only option that changes between this
problem file with an index and this problem file without an index.
Thats what lead me to believe it was the file size that was causing the
difficulty.  Though, I suppose it is not.  I'm at a loss to what else
could be causing it...