[MEncoder-users] A/V sync problems

Grozdan Nikolov microchip at chello.be
Fri Aug 3 05:09:29 CEST 2007

Hi,

I'm having a problem with a soft telecined NTSC DVD. During playback time of
this DVD, mplayer repeatedly reported frame rate switching between 23.97 and
23.976 fps. After watching the movie, I decided to encode it and I used the
pullup filter to remove the telecine from it...

-vf pullup,softskip,scale=608:384 -ofps 24000/1001

After the encoding was done I did my usual checkup to see if everything is
fine. At first everything looked good, but then somewhere in the middle of
the encode, there were A/V sync issue which continued till the end of it. As
I have converted this encode from AVI to MP4 with MP4Box, I thought at first
that there was something wrong with the conversion. However, I also have
mp4info from mpeg4ip so I did a check to see the length of both the video and
audio tracks. This is what I got from it

1 video H264 High at 5.1, 7588.455 secs, 1070 kbps, 608x384 @ 23.976027 fps
2 audio MPEG-4 AAC LC, 7590.634 secs, 174 kbps, 48000 Hz

As you can see, the audio track is by 2 seconds longer. The thing I'm not sure
about is, if during the pullup process something went wrong making the video
shorter than the audio which results in A/V desync. Is this even possible? Or
is the audio really by default a few seconds longer than the video.

Any ideas on how I can sync the audio and video toegether?

Thanks in advance