[MEncoder-users] Problems with mencoder on Win32 and MKV

Berend Dekens cyberwizzard at sportlaan.adsl.utwente.nl
Mon Apr 23 15:39:27 CEST 2007

Hi,

I'm using Transcode360 for my Xbox360 to view video on my TV. Some stuff
is encoded in Matroska (most of which is x264) and I can't get this
content to work. It either runs heavely out of sync (seconds out of sync
after seconds of video) and it looks like the video is playing too fast.
With some files it runs fine for a while and then cuts out with messages
about having too many packets in the audio buffer.

An example of how the mencoder is executed under windows MCE:
mencoder.exe -quiet -delay 0 -oac lavc -srate 48000 -af
lavcresample=48000 -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd -o "C:\Program
Files\Transcode360\Buffer\Pumpkin Scissors - 03 (1024x576 h264).360"
-ovc lavc -vf scale=720:404,expand=784:432,harddup -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9800:vbitrate=8000:keyint=15:aspect=16/9:acodec=mp2:abitrate=320
-ofps 24000/1001 -slang eng -subpos 92 -alang jp -alang jpn "Pumpkin
Scissors - 03 (1024x576 h264).mkv"

I tried playing with the options and I can't get it to work. I replaced
the stock mencoder.exe with numerous newer builds, some of which seemed
to improve the situation a little, other only made it worse.
What is going wrong? The strange thing is that everyone seems to use MKV
without problems... So why do I run into a brick wall time after time
(this has been broken for over a year now).

Regards,
Berend Dekens