[MEncoder-users] which audio codec?

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sun Apr 22 21:19:16 CEST 2007

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 11:34:12 +0200
bayrouni <bayrouni at brutele.be> wrote:

> I read something about aac, but aac is not free, isn't it? and it will
> lose the number of channels, isn't it?

Very few audio codecs are patent free.  That's life.

> and what about using musepack or flac  format, aren'nt they good
> choice ?

It's not a good idea to use musepack in any container.  It's not a
normal, packetized format, though that seems to be planned.

FLAC is lossless, meaning your audio will be huge.
> The ideal (for me) is to keep the number of channels if possible, but
> it  not mandatory.  I care about quality...

You can't get better quality than keeping the AC3.  If it takes too much
space, you can try other codecs, but very few are efficient at encoding
more than 2 channels.