[MEncoder-users] DivX in 1.0rc1

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Oct 31 23:47:38 CET 2006

Joshua Crawford wrote:

> * RC <rcooley at spamcop.net> [2006-10-29 08:34 -0800]:
>
>> On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 23:44:19 +1100 Joshua Crawford
>> <mortarn_lists at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>>
>>> This seems a step backwards, and in that spirit I'm downloading
>>> 1.0pre8, which I somehow missed when it was released.
>>
>> By all means, please explain why you need or want to use Divx, as
>> opposed to the fully-compatible alternatives, which are widely
>> accepted as being better...
>
> My computer is ancient and barely plays video with a bare xterm, let
> alone the GNOME 2.14 desktop I use. So I convert files to DivX, burn
> them to CD and play them on the DVD player. Apart from DivX (and DVD,
> VCD and SVCD of course), it doesn't play any other type of video I've
> noticed (I've tried lavc, but not with advanced options nor faking
> the fourcc).

At a bare minimum, faking the fourcc is necessary if you want a
lavc-encoded MPEG4 video to play in any hardware player. Some such
players may also need a faked fourcc for XviD. As long as you don't use
any complicated options, AFAIR there should not be problems with the
actual content of the video in either case.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.