[MEncoder-users] Re: Encoding to FLV from WMV is HORRID

Jon Drukman jsd at cluttered.com
Tue Oct 17 20:37:41 CEST 2006

Musixz Man wrote:
> Im not expecting the FLV encoding to improve the quality, but I wasnt
> expecting it to totally trash it either.
>
> For example, encoding a decent avi/mpg/mov (who's quality I'd rate at an
> 8) to FLV, the resulting FLV would be a 6 or 7 depending on how high I
> go with the bitrate.
>
> But, if I take a compariable WMV and encode to FLV, the resulting FLV
> would be a 2 at best - color bands, serious artifacts, what looks like 4
> bit color, etc.
>
> Since I'm doing this via PHP, my exec command is as follows:
>
> "mencoder ".$srcname." -o ".$flvname." -of lavf -oac mp3lame -lameopts
> abr:br=56 -vf scale=".$out_x.":".$out_y." -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> vcodec=flv:vbitrate=".$outvbr.":mbd=2:mv0:trell:v4mv:cbp:last_pred=3
> -lavfopts i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_frames -srate
> 22050"

do you know if you're using the native wmv decoding or the win32 codec
based version?  the native wmv stuff is all fairly new so that may be
the problem.  if you could try just playing one of these wmv's with
mplayer that might tell us something.

if you want to upload one of the wmv's somewhere i'll take a look.  i'm
using basically the same command you are to create flv and wmv has not
been a problem to date.

-jsd-