[MEncoder-users] Re: library for -of ogg

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Fri Oct 13 20:24:01 CEST 2006

On Thursday, 12 October 2006 at 22:40, Jon Drukman wrote:
> Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> >On Tuesday, 10 October 2006 at 20:56, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> >[...]
> >>At least a decoder exists already, so there might be hope.
> >
> >What's the point of encoding *to* vp6 anyway? It's not like it's a superior
> >codec.
>
> superior to what?

Exactly. VP6 is an inferior codec.

> if you want to use flash (which most of the web does)

Show me the stats. There's nothing preventing you from putting an AVI or
QuickTime or Matroska file on the web, which would allow you to use other
codecs. There are players for these file formats for every platform, as
opposed to Flash.

> it is far and away the superior choice!  (the only other choice is
> sorenson spark.)

Only if you insist on using Flash as container.

Regards,
R.

--
MPlayer developer and RPMs maintainer: http://rpm.greysector.net/mplayer/