[MEncoder-users] Re: Re: Re: Re: Tutorial?

Ilya Zakharevich nospam-abuse at ilyaz.org
Sun Oct 8 00:30:46 CEST 2006

The Wanderer
<mencoder-users at mplayerhq.hu>], who wrote in article <45279D95.60302 at comcast.net>:
> > Let me restate my question again: which of two semantics holds:
> >
> > a) the bitrate part of `xvidencopts' is the target bitrate/size of
> > the VIDEO PART of the produced file;
> >
> > b) the bitrate part of `xvidencopts' is the target TOTAL (=video +
> > audio) bitrate/size of the produced file.
>
> a), obviously.

There is nothing "obvious" with software (unless one knows it is an
extremely dumb software).

> The reason this is obvious is because XviD is a VIDEO codec, and has
> nothing whatsoever to do with the rest of the file (video, audio,
> subtitles, metadata, container, etc); therefore, the XviD bitrate (which
> is obviously what you're specifying, since these are 'xvidencopts')
> cannot have anything to do with the non-video parts of the file.

You logic assumes knowledge of details of interaction (and
not-interaction) of parts of mencoder (alternative explanation is just
lack of imagination on your part, but I prefer the first one ;-).

E.g., mencoder could inform XviD of the current offset into the output
file, and XVID could take this into account when writing its log.

It is much easier to write this down explicitly in the docs than
continue this discussion of "logic".  ;-)

Thanks,
Ilya