[MEncoder-users] [SOLVED] Green boxes on non-computer DVD player

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Tue Nov 28 17:03:57 CET 2006

Hello,
On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 05:45:59PM +0200, Eli Billauer wrote:
> I've been asking myself why there's a divertion from the strict standard
> at all. Even as an option, there's always a chance that someone will
> unawaringly turn the obscure option into default, making people all over
> the world bang their heads trying to understand what went wrong. Is the
> possible improvement in bitrate and/or image quality really worth it?

Actually it seems that vstrict=0 actually causes two commandline-options
to be overridden:
1) me_range is limited to 256 (I would assume that causes the green
boxes, which obviously explains why it is less with lower resolution)
2) keyint is limited to 600

Since both are user-specifiable options it is a fair question if they
should be changed, esp. since even a lot of hardware players have no
problem with them I think...
The documentation should be adjusted though I admit.
And the originaly reason for changing the default is that vstrict=0
completely breaks mjpeg encoding, and a default that depends on the
codec is not exactly intuitive either.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger