[MEncoder-users] High quality MPEG4 encoding of interlaced DV source

Pierre Catello pierre.catello at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 00:23:51 CET 2006

2006/11/26, Pepe <rvm3000 at ya.com>:

> I'm not an expert at all, but I downloaded your sample and I think this
> command gives a good quality (creates an xvid):
>
> mencoder -noodml -o output.avi \
>   -oac mp3lame -lameopts vol=0:mode=1:cbr:br=128 \
>   -ovc xvid \
>   -xvidencopts bitrate=4000:pass=2:max_bframes=2 \
>   -vf-add yadif  \
>   -force-avi-aspect 4:3 \
>   132.dv.avi
>
> I think the deinterlacing is good. Maybe there's a little loss of quality
> in
> the water but it's not very noticeable.

Thanks for the suggestion!
I tried your settings and compared to similar ones using tfields=4:1 :

mencoder -vf tfields=4:1 -nosound -fps 50 -ofps 50 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts
pass=2:bitrate=4000:trellis:chroma_me:vhq=4:quant_type=mpeg -fps 50
-force-avi-aspect 4:3 -o 132-xvid-vbr4000.avi 132.dv.avi

Both files are about the same size,
- as expected, tfields yields to *much* more smoothness in the motion (kayak
gliding and the rider paddling)
- yadif *seems* a bit sharper (or with apparent more resolution) than the
frames from tfields upscaled to 576 lines. I was surprised by yadif default
results, as yadif=3:1,mcdeint=2 wasn't as good (left combing artifacts)

the two versions are here (temporary storage) :
http://dl-1.free.fr/52616e646f6d4956ccde8c6063ef06dde6ef5c8284874c2c3bd1fb834eaae4c1/132-xvid-vbr4000-tfields4.avi
http://dl-3.free.fr/52616e646f6d49561f2350dc346d040d2ff2d1dd9125f2195db2e1be173b5c06/132-xvid-vbr4000-yadif.avi

(The tfields version may requires you to force the player's aspect ratio to
4:3 so that it is played upscaled to 576 lines)

As you mentioned, the quality is good at 4000 kbs, but I hoped of similar
quality with MPEG4 at about 2500 kbs. Am I dreaming ;-) ? Or do you think it
can be achieved with other settings and/or other codecs (x264 ?)

Pierre