[MEncoder-users] framerate control question

pfile at pacbell.net pfile at pacbell.net
Wed Nov 22 04:33:41 CET 2006

> Trent Piepho wrote:
>
> I gave up with divtc and just wrote my own (1-pass filter).  It
> seems to
> work pretty much perfectly now.  I only get "Skipping frame!" messages
> (because my filter did not drop enough frames) during black
> sequences, for
> instance before commercials.  In this case it hardly matters which
> black
> frame is dropped, since they are all the same.  There are only a
> couple of
> mistake frames in an entire episode of Lost.  They are all in very low
> motion scenes and even stepping frame by frame you can't tell
> something is
> wrong.

yeah, i suppose what i am doing for my 2nd/3rd pass could be handled
by divtc, though i tried that and it kept losing sync. i just used
divtc as a  starting point for my code since divtc=pass=1 pretty much
already does what i needed. in my previous attempts with decimate and
tinterlace,pullup, i wasnt sure where the duped frames were coming
from so i wanted to start with a filter which emitted exactly the
right number of frames to begin with.

you should release your filter, it sounds pretty good! seriously, as
mencoder stands all the existing ways of doing 60p->24p are a tad
convoluted and not accurate without a lot of experimentation
(decimate=2 comes to mind...)

rob