[MEncoder-users] on-the fly encoding of DV-camera

Hauke Fuhrmann haf at informatik.uni-kiel.de
Tue Nov 21 12:42:33 CET 2006

Hello everybody,

I'm new to this topic so please forgive my little noobish attitude :-)

I want to grab a video from a DV camera and encode it to some smaller
file format, e.g. mpeg4.

I try something like
dvgrab file
mencoder file ...

This works fine in these successive steps. Especially the encoding takes
only half real-time, so I assume the PC is fast enough to do it
on-the-fly. But it does not work in a piped mode:
dvgrab | mencoder ... -

I get the error message, that mencoder cannot seek backwards in a linear
stream and then he aborts after approx 1 sec.

I assume, mencoder has problems to synchronize on an I-frame. Any
possibility to set some parameters to fix it?

Best regards,
Hauke