[MEncoder-users] Re: field order mysteriously changing

Walter Belhaven wbelhaven at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 14 19:23:38 CET 2006

> Broadcasters do change the field order in 1080i. I have no idea
> why but I discovered it the hard way. If you watch the
> top_field_first flag during a 1080i broadcast, you'll see it
> switch back and forth.

Hi Scott.  Is '-vf phase=x' the right way to handle this in mencoder,
and, if so, what's the proper value of 'x' when transcoding for
interlaced NTSC DVD?  Also, do you or anyone else know of a tool
that you can feed an MPG file and have it tell you if anything is
broken about it, or out of compliance for a specific target, namely,
for DVD?

WB