[MEncoder-users] Interleave woes with cartoons.

Fredrik Eriksson feffese at yahoo.se
Sun Mar 5 09:19:41 CET 2006

list-catcher at hellburner.com wrote:
> I have a mixed telecine, progressive, and interlaced cartoon that I'm trying to
> encode, it works fine for most of the video but occasionally the interlaced parts
> throw parts of the picture off badly. For example, in one segment most of the
> picture is fine except for a window in the background which appears to be
> vibrating due to the interlacing.
>
> My current options are:
>
> mencoder dvd://1 -vf crop=720:480:0:0 -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts \
> vcodec=msmpeg4:vbitrate=1600:mv0:vqmin=3:trell:mbd=0 -ofps 24000/1001 -frames
> 10000 -o test_v1.avi
>
> I intend to use two pass encoding, but trying to stop the interlace problems
> first.  I use msmpeg4 because of archive reasons.
>
> Any suggestions?

for a starter, "-vf crop 720:480:0:0"
does nothing if you have a ntsc dvd that
already is 720x480. To remove the
telecined frames, you have to use "-vf
pullup,softskip", otherwise mencoder
will just drop frames at random to keep
the fps. If you still have some
interlaced frames left when using pullup
you can add the pp=l5 filter as well. It
won't remove the frames, but at least it
will make them less apparent.

Fredrik Eriksson