[MEncoder-users] Re: quicktime compatible mp4 using x264encopts?

Jon Drukman jsd at cluttered.com
Fri Jun 30 22:55:13 CEST 2006

Rich Felker wrote:
>> it doesn't work if i take out bframes=3 either.  sorry i didn't spot
>> that earlier.
>
> afaik bframes are default with x264. you need bframes=0 to disable
> them, in which case x264 is hardly better than mpeg4.

no difference, the file still crashes quicktime player.

/opt/build/mplayer/mencoder occultclassics_vf_060606_qt.mov -ffourcc
h264 -ovc x264 -x264encopts bframes=0 -of lavf -lavfopts
format=mp4:i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_frames -oac
lavc -lavcopts acodec=aac -ofps 30000/1001 -o test264.mp4

the only reason i am persisting with mencoder is that it can decode
WMV3(*) and one of the input formats for this app i'm building will be
HD-quality WMV3.  since ffmpeg seems to have no difficulty generating
qt-compatible h.264 mp4 files, is there a way to use mplayer to decode
the WMV3 and pipe into ffmpeg?

-jsd-

(*) I know that the ffmpeg team is working on native decoding of
WMV3/VC-1 but I'm looking for a solution in the interim.