[MEncoder-users] uncompressed avi

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 09:20:23 CEST 2006

Hi,

Please do NOT top-post: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html

On 6/9/06, Kristian Nilssen <knilssen at weather3000.com> wrote:

> Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 6/8/06, Kristian Nilssen <knilssen at weather3000.com> wrote:
> >> I can collect a bunch of png files together into an uncompressed avi
> >> using this command...
> >> mencoder 'mf://*.png' -mf fps=25 -o out.avi -ovc raw
> >> .. the file out.avi plays ok in mplayer but will not play in window
> >> media player. I also tried creating the avi using the same command in
> >> cygwin and linux. No joy. How can I get an uncompressed avi to work in
> >> windows media player?
> >
> > Are you sure it's even supported by WMP?
> >
> > I always thought that WMP was just a playschool toy not meant to play
> > anything but wmv files?
> >
> > ;-)

> I can create uncompressed avi files using a package called M2Convert Pro
> on windows. These uncompressed avi files run fine on windows media
> player. So, if a silly windows application can produce uncompressed avi
> files 'properly', why can't the glorious mencoder?  ;)

It's not that easy. To the best of my knowledge, your command:

mencoder 'mf://*.png' -mf fps=25 -o out.avi -ovc raw

produces a video composed out of a series of png files. This means
that this video isn't uncompressed but rather is close to a m-png
video.

No idea how to store a raw yuv video in AVI. I'd say google is your
friend. (once you find out, please report that to us poor mortals).

As I said, it's just AFAIK,

Guillaume
--
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm."
 -- Winston Churchill