[MEncoder-users] Fwd: Questions on Mencoder performace

larrystotler at netscape.net larrystotler at netscape.net
Wed Jun 7 22:54:51 CEST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthias Wieser <mwieser at gmx.de>

>The answer is: It's all about CPU clock, CPU architecture and memory
bandwidth.
>If I remember correctly even the switch from 256kb to 512kb on older
Athlon CPUs did not improve the speed of the common video codecs
> where Celerons are compared to other CPUs.

I checked their guide.  They didn't include the mobile celerons.  The
Mobile celerons have 256k L2 whereas a standard P4 based Celeron only
had 128k.  This changed with the CeleronD, but they are different
enough that a comparison won't work.  I guess the celeron mobile could
be compared to the Willamette core P4s since they only had 256k L2 as
well.  Maybe someone with one could offer some thoughts on the subject.
  Most benchmarks now don't show processors less than 2.6Ghz, and only
overclockers that put the Mobile chips in desktop boards would have
good comparisons.  Remember, I am using a mobile proc in a desktop
board, but I haven't overclockedit yet because I need a better MB and
DDR for it.

I will just have to do some testing.  Oh well.  Thanx.