[MEncoder-users] Fwd: Questions on Mencoder performace

larrystotler at netscape.net larrystotler at netscape.net
Wed Jun 7 05:04:48 CEST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Raphael <mencoder at lesshaste.plus.com>

  >Your best bet is to experiment. There are too many unknowns and in
particular of course the behaviour of the compiler will make a
considerable difference. One >version of gcc with one set of
optimisation flags may accidently squeeze some crucial piece of data
into the L2 cache on a particular processor etc. gcc has never >given
any guarantees and I remember compiling code with higher optimisation
levels that ran more slowly and finding that after using -Os it didn't
fit in cache etc.

I was hoping that this type of info would be available, but I am
willing to do some leg work.

> You may be able to find tools that give you useful stats (e.g.
cachegrind http://valgrind.org/info/tools.html). If you can run
systematic tests using such tools with as >many different gccs and
options and cpus as possible then I am sure we would all be very
interested to see the results.

I have stcuk with XviD, so I will try some tests.  How does the fps
counter work?  Is it a current fps rate or an average since the
encoding has started.

One other thing.  I install nasm before I compile XviD.  A friend told
me that is supposed to help, and XviD sees that it is there when I run
the conigure switch.  Anyone know if that is a good thing or not?  Thanx