[MEncoder-users] subfont text scale

Robert 2600 robert2600 at linuxmail.org
Sun Jul 30 06:28:46 CEST 2006

Hi,

I am using mplayer (1.0pre8-3.i586) on Suse Linux 9.2
I want to use mencoder to hardcode .srt subtitles (ie embedded the subtitles permanently) into an avi film.

Using a command like:
mencoder inputfilm.avi -ovc lavc -oac lavc -sub inputsub.srt −subfont-text-scale 3 -o outputfilm.avi
puts subtitles into the film but appears to ignore the subtitle scale, the subtitles comes out too big irrespective of the scale.
I am using a .ttf true type font and have success at changing the size of the subtitles when I play the inputfilm.avi with mplayer but not when I use mencoder.

I removed the fonts in
/usr/share/mplayer
to force it to use my
~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf

I set up my config file with these options:
subfont-text-scale=3
subfont-osd-scale=3
font=/home/robert/.mplayer/subfont.ttf

How can I get mencoder to change the size of the subtitles?
Is it possible to get a .ttf font file with only 12pt characters?

cheers

Robert