[MEncoder-users] capturing from camcorder

Dieter freebsd at sopwith.solgatos.com
Mon Jul 17 14:34:27 CEST 2006

> I have seen some documents where people uses mencoder to capture video
> from tv video cards. Is it possible to capture video from a camcorder with
> ieee1394 interface (/dev/raw1394)? In case of yes, which parameters should
> I use to capture and encode in mpeg-2?

I use

	fwcontrol -R filename.dv

And get a 720x480 30 fps interleaved NTSC "DV" file named filename.dv.
Man fwcontrol for details.

My camera also has options to get progressive or 16:9 modes.
Your camcorder may vary, e.g. PAL instead of NTSC.
I think there are HiDef versions of DV available now.

I use ffmpeg to convert mpeg2ts to DV (*), it should be possible to
use ffmpeg or mencoder to convert the other direction.

(*) and sometimes ffmpeg manages to do this without crashing