[MEncoder-users] libavcodec h264 DVD to psp encoding.

Jim Driscoll Torg0999 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 13 19:48:24 CEST 2006

When running any of the builds from http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php
trying to format the stream for PSPs the resulting file has no issue being
played in quicktime, but won't play on the PSP.  Mplayer gives an error that
it can't read the bitrate from the atom, and the PSP while it can't play the
file, reports the bitrate as 3-6kbps.  Actually looking at the file the PSP
is reporting exactly what the file says the bitrate is.  0x03 at the audio
bitrate location.

I'm passing this to mencoder:

Dvd://1 -dvd-device d:\ -aspect 16:9 -of lavf -lavfopts
format=psp:i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_frames  -oac lavc
-ovc lavc -lavcopts
aglobal=1:vglobal=1:coder=1:vcodec=h264:acodec=aac:vbitrate=512:abitrate=64
-vf scale=368:208,pp=fa,harddup -info name="movie name" -ofps 24000/1001 -o
"D:\PSP\MP_ROOT\100ANV01\MAQ10001.mp4"

Now if I hex edit the resulting file and change the audio rate to the
correct bit rate it works flawlessly, but mplayer still says bit-rate wasn't
in the file.

I'm writing an app that will batch process files/dvds and turn them into
useable PSP/ipod files.  Mainly this to process drv-ms files and get them to
my ipod(more storage) and PSP(better battery life) everything works except
from dvd, and this is a good function to have(I'M NOT TRYING TO PIRATE
ANYTHING). It seems to work with other files, but I've only tested wmv
files..  I haven't had a problem generating content for my ipod, but PSP is
causing an issue.  But I know it's possible to get this to work correctly
without hex editing it after the fact because clonedvdmoble (slysoft) uses
mencoder, and gets to PSPs fine.

I've heard also that it may be a problem with faac, but I can't find the
reference to that anywhere.