[MEncoder-users] resize movie

Phil Ehrens phil at slug.org
Mon Jan 23 19:39:28 CET 2006

Corey Hickey wrote:

> Also, when you're encoding you need to use -vf scale instead of -xy.
> Thus, your command is going to look something like this:
>
> mencoder -o tmp.avi -oac copy -vf scale=176:144 \
> -ovc <encoder> -<encoderopts> <encoderoptions>

-vf scale *instead* of -xy is not *always* the right thing.

This works, using -xy WITH -vf scale:

mencoder -o tmp.avi -oac copy -vf scale -zoom -xy 176 \
> -ovc <encoder> -<encoderopts> <encoderoptions>

And is done to maintain the aspect ratio while scaling the width
to a specified value.

I am not trying to argue, I am just pointing out that -vf scale
and -xy are not mutually exclusive, and are in fact very useful
together.