[MEncoder-users] Output variable framerate?

Pierre Thibault pierre.thibault at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 06:06:31 CET 2006

On 1/21/06, RC <rcooley at spamcop.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 12:54:24 -0500
> Pierre Thibault <thibault at physics.cornell.edu> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a video (ripped from DVD) that contains two types of scenes:
> > genuine 30fps interlaced scenes and 24fps scenes telecined to 30fps.
> > When I use -vf pullup with -ofps 29.97, mencoder does a great job at
> > removing all the interlacing artifacts in both types of scenes,
>
> If pullup is working on the "genuine 30fps interlaced scenes" then
> it's not interlaced, but actually hard telecined.  pullup
> doesn't deinterlace.  In that case, -ofps 24000/1001 should work for the
> whole movie.

Yes, sorry, the switch that really makes both interlacing and
telecining disappear is
 -vf pullup,pp=md. and I could not see any difference with softskip.

The complete command I used was:

mencoder -vf pullup,pp=md,harddup -ofps 30000/1001 -ovc xvid -oac
mp3lame -xvidencopts bitrate=-300000:turbo:pass=1:profile=asp5 -o
tmp.avi [vob file]

(of course with another one with pass=2).
Another unrelated problem I had was that my DVD player (philips DVP
642) seems very picky, and I read somewhere that specifying a profile
(asp5) and hard duplicate frames (harddup) would help. It turns out
it's not enough... Anyway, I need to experiment more before I ask.

Thanks anyway!

Pierre

--
Pierre Thibault