[MEncoder-users] Converting 1080i to 720p [new to list]

Wayne Arant wayne.arant at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 18:51:23 CET 2006

On 2/22/06, Mark Lehrer <mark at knm.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 11:46:03AM -0500, Wayne Arant wrote:
> > Hello all.
> > I'm new to the list and mencoder.
> > I have an HDTV capture that I have been having a lot of trouble with,
> and
> > from my research It looks like it either changes framerate or (the more
>
> Can you put some sample content online?

Hey, it is the 1st season Battlestar galactica episodes that are in
alt.binaries.hdtv from december (still visible on giganews servers)
I don't have a good way to host the full file, but if you could give me a
propper command for cutting a little of it off, I do have an FTP at home I
could point you to in a pinch.
I'm in Windows, and working remotely. but will be happy to provide what I
can.

Are you sure that 24 frames per
> second is correct?

If I use -nosound -vo null -benchmark.
It switches back and forth between 30000/1001 and 24000/1001 at seeming
random intervals (possibly scene changes as had been suggested in the
archives)  but the vast majority is 24000/1001 (over 95%)

I have been trying to deinterlace to 60 fps for the
> hdtv content that I captured so far, but that still isn't quite working
> correctly either.

I saw where you had been discussing this in the archives before I sent my
origonal e-mail, and our problem sounds similar, but not identical. So I
wasn't sure it was the same problem. There was talk of a patch, did you try
it yet?

Mark

p.s. this all started because I wanted to cut off the intro and lead out,
and possibly convert to WMV-HD for playback on my 360.
I'd be just as happy with a simpler way to accomplish that...