[MEncoder-users] windows mencoder -edl issue

Duncan Webb duncan-mp at linuxowl.com
Thu Dec 7 08:17:15 CET 2006

Gary C. New wrote:
> I discovered the problem.  It is because of comskip.
>
> When I use comskip to generate the edl file I get:
>
> 0.03	78.51	0
> 648.81	795.43	0
> 1622.25	1771.74	0
> 1979.01	1979.04	0
>
> When I generate the edl file manually using mplayer
> and -edlout I get:
>
> 71836.203125 71914.710938 0
> 72484.578125 72631.664063 0
> 73458.453125 73558.757813 0
> 73587.757813 73815.257813 0
>
> And when I feed the manually created mplayer -edlout
> file to mencoder it transcodes the video correctly
> leaving all the delete list segments out.
>
> Any idea why the two very different edl files?  Why
> will the first skip segment work under the comskip
> -edl file, but none of the remaining segments?  Why
> does the manually generated mplayer -edlout file work
> perfectly?

AFAIK mplayer uses the SCR (system clock reference) times taken from the
pack header. It looks like comskip is using a different method, could be
counting frames or using the GOP (group of pictures) timestamps.

I discovered all this when writing a program to extract the sub-titles
from the teletext pages.

Duncan