[MEncoder-users] Sony DSC-M1 and Philips DVP642

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Fri Aug 25 15:49:27 CEST 2006

On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 08:19:07AM -0500, Rick Richardson wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 12:25:32PM -0400, Giacomo Comes wrote:
> >
> > This command line will do it:
> > mencoder -ffourcc DX50 -ovc copy -o test.avi test.mp4 -oac lavc -oac mp3lame
>
> > One solution I found is to run mencoder again:
> > mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -forceidx -o fix.avi test.avi
>
> Gee.  There are only *two bytes* different on 200 videos. e.g.:
>
> $ cmp -l avi/m4v00657.avi fix/m4v00657.avi
>     249  25   0
> 8381517   0  20
> $
>
> You would think that appending -forceidx would work:
>
>     mencoder -ffourcc DX50 -ovc copy -oac lavc -oac mp3lame -forceidx -o ...
>
> But it doesn't work that way.  So you have to make two runs on each video.
> Some of the videos are 500MBs long.
>
> I think there is a bug in mencoder.  What do you say?

I think more about a problem with the DVP642. After all, mencoder
creates the index during the first run, the DVP642 can play the video,
only fast forward is affected.

Of course an expert could have a look at the problem and figure out
why you need a second run with -forceidx in order to have a working
fast forward with the DVP642, but the problem is so small and the time
required to have a second run isn't that important that I never bothered
to report the problem to the list.

The DVD642 have more severe problems in order to play correctly avi
created with mencoder. It took me some days to figure out how to make
a good avi for that player. The details can be found in encode2mpeg.

Giacomo