[MEncoder-users] Detecting black areas in video

Jean Hoderd jhoderd at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 24 16:49:55 CEST 2006

Hi,

I need to locate areas in video where the image goes completely black
for a couple of seconds.  I have looked into mplayer's filters, but
couldn't find nothing that helps (at least at first sight).

I have thought of using "-lavdopts vstats" and then analysing the
data, looking for areas where the instantaneous bitrate drops for
two seconds.  However, this is likely to lead to plenty of false
positives, and I'm not even sure if it would work anyway.

Has someone come across this problem before?  Do you have any
suggestions to help me?  Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Jean