[MEncoder-users] Want a sample command to convert files to FLV

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sat Aug 19 14:01:46 CEST 2006

howard chen wrote:

> On 8/19/06, The Wanderer <inverseparadox at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> howard chen wrote:
>
>> <snip>

>>> for encoding a WMV file (avg fps : 15):
>>
>> What do you mean, "avg fps: 15"? That the input file has that
>> average frame rate? If so, where did you get that value from?
>
> I get this value from Windows Media Player -> Statistics
>
> When I encode this wmv using FFMpeg, FFMpeg also detect this value
> and use this as the frame rate (if I omitted `-r`), of coz I also get
> this value using Mplayer with `-v` option but the whole file need to
> play once.
>
> I just wonder if I `really` need to playback the whole video to get
> the correct FPS. Or can future version of mencoder can handle this
> automatically?

<sigh>

Well, there are two possibilities.

One is that MPlayer is miscounting the frames and/or not handling
variable FPS correctly, such that its total reported time or total
reported framecount is wrong. Given that I see no problems when playing
the file I've been testing with, that seems unlikely.

The other is that both Windows Media Player and FFmpeg are giving an
incorrect value for the frame rate.

Given that even FFmpeg will give MPlayer's numbers if told to streamcopy
rather than to transcode the data, I think it likely that MPlayer is
right in this case.

If that's not true, then it's a bug in MPlayer (possibly several of
them) and needs to be fixed, because it will be impossible to play at
least some WMV files at the correct speeds.

I've already explained, at length, why the value obtained from MPlayer
would be correct from a technical standpoint - and, I think, why it
would be necessary (repeat, *necessary*) to play, or at least process,
the entire file in order to get that value; if you actually don't
understand that, as it seems from your last couple of posts, I'm
beginning to wonder if you even understand what an "average" is.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.