[MEncoder-users] Want a sample command to convert files to FLV

howard chen howachen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 05:46:37 CEST 2006

On 8/18/06, The Wanderer <inverseparadox at comcast.net> wrote:
> howard chen wrote:
>
> > On 8/15/06, RC <rcooley at spamcop.net> wrote:

> >> Not really, but in scripting situations it helps (line breaks after
> >> each status line make it easier to parse), and if he has some
> >> -msglevel in his config file, -v should override it.
> >
> > yes, after i use "-v", i can get the average fps now...
>
> What's in your ~/.mplayer/config file? If the 'total time' and 'total
> frames' are not printed by default, then there's something weird going
> on.

seems nothing (it is the default?)

# Write your default config options here!

> > in fact, i wonder the need to playback the whole file to get the
> > average fps, even the player play the first 20-30 seconds could get
> > the average fps.
>
> That will give you the average FPS over that small chunk of the file,
> but it won't necessarily be the same as the average FPS of the entire
> file; if the frame rate changes later on, the average FPS will be
> different.
>
> In point of fact, I noticed that exact effect in the course of testing
> to make sure that the numbers I expected were in fact gettng printed.
> Once I let the video finish 'playing' and got total time of 420.2
> seconds with 11822 frames, for an average FPS of ~28.13422; another
> time, I interrupted it early on at 35.0 seconds (by coincidence) and 832
> frames, for an average FPS of 23.77143. Considering the desync I
> sometimes get in non-variable-FPS files whose FPS value is off by (as
> far as I can tell) about 0.1 frame per second, I'd say that 4.36 frames
> per second is a very significant difference.

what kind of file you are using? seems as RC said, only WMV use
variable video bit rate, i doubt the difference in FPS is so large?

the ffmpeg can determine the average fps of my wmv file during
encoding, so i doubt the need to play the whole file in order to get
the average fps.