[MEncoder-users] CPU utilization during encoding

David Liontooth liontooth at cogweb.net
Thu Aug 17 17:00:46 CEST 2006

I've been using the same script (below) for a year and a half, and chose this
combination of parameters because it gave me a steady CPU utilization per card
of 30%. Recently the CPU utilization has become variable, going between the low
20s to the high 70 and even above. Since I use two and even three cards in a
machine, this means I now get lots of dropped frames. What changed in mencoder
-- and is there something I can do to get a constant CPU utilization?

mencoder -tv driver=v4l2:device=/dev/video1:fps=30000/1001:chanlist=us-cable:\
audiorate=32000:adevice=/dev/dsp1:input=0:amode=1:normid=4 -ffourcc DIVX -ovc \
lavc -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128 -endpos $TIM -o $DIR/$FIL.avi tv:// >
/dev/null

Cheers,
Dave