[MEncoder-users] [ANNOUNCE] new MPEG muxer in cvs

Nico Sabbi nicola_sabbi at fastwebnet.it
Sat Apr 22 20:53:09 CEST 2006

Hi,
I have just finishing committing the new code of the MPEG muxer.
It's almost completely different from the old one, hopefully much better :)
What has changed:

- variable muxrate (made badly) has gone
- the dreaded APTS < SCR is fixed
- images don't freeze anymore nor play at seemingly lower framerate
- seeking has largely improved (no more need to wait for audio and video
to sync)
- the code has been largely generalized, so extending it and adding
suport for subs/
multiple audio streams  is much easier
- all constraints on timings and buffering sizes will be respected,
provided that the muxrate
is big enough

What's still to fix:
- it's still possible to have some occasional buffer under and/or ADTS < SCR
(strictly related to each other), especially when muxing to xvcd and/or
with a large number
of b-frames. If this happens the muxer will raise the muxrate and report
it, so if you
remux using :muxrate=N the problem should vanish;
- occasional buffer overflow an/or pts >> scr will be fixed in the next
few days

Strongly advised:
- when encoding video (e.g. without -ovc copy) _always_ use -vf softskip
(btw, I have and had a lot of problems with harddup, so I don't use it);

- using -ofps is generally quite bad (with the old muxer, too), better
use -speed newfr/oldfr
(eventually resampling audio)

Please, report eventual problems.

    Nico