[MEncoder-users] Re: help encoding jpeg frames to video with soundtrack

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Thu Apr 20 17:13:02 CEST 2006

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 07:08:01PM -0700, Ken and Timi Cecka wrote:
> RC wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 20:50:25 -0700
> > Ken and Timi Cecka <ceckak at alumni.washington.edu> wrote:
> >
> >> mencoder "mf://*.jpg" -mf fps=15 -o test800.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> >> vcodec=msmpeg4v2:vbitrate=800
> >
> > 800k is awfully low, particularly when you aren't using
> > quality-improving options like mbd=2, trell, etc.
> >
> > I suggest reading the online HTML docs.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions.  I've been reading the online docs and
> experimenting with a number of values, including higher bitrates.
> Increasing the bitrate seems to help with the blockiness, but I can't
> figure out how to get rid of the orange streaks.  Here's an example:
>
> original frame: http://k-n-t.homeip.net/tmp/10007.jpg
> mplayer screenshot: http://k-n-t.homeip.net/tmp/encoded.jpg

I have seen this kind of bug before. It usually happens with portrait
pictures. And the bug exist with 1.0pre7 and CVS.

Solutions:

1) Add -vc ijpg to your command line. It'a an easy solution but it may
   not work.
2) Convert your pictures to PNG before encoding them with mencoder.
   The level of success is higher but not 100%.
3) Convert you picture to TGA before encoding them with mencoder.
   I got 100% success with TGA format.

Giacomo