[MEncoder-users] Removing strange noise around edges

Fredrik Eriksson feffese at yahoo.se
Tue Nov 29 16:41:46 CET 2005

Rich Felker wrote:

>Checked, dotcrawl is the only problem I see. The telecine is perfectly
>normal and easily reversed with pullup or any of the other inverse
>telecine filters.
>
>Rich

yes, it's only the dotcrawl (thx for teaching me the correct term) I've
had problem with.

pp=lb does help a bit, but also removes a lot of details and
sharpness... It would be good if there was a way to tell mencoder to
only use these filters on a specific range of frames (similar to the
zones encoding option), that way all the video wouldn't need to be
smoothed, only parts with lots of dotcrawl. Well, even if there is a way
to do that which, from what I've read, there isn't, it would probably
still require way too much work in this case, so I think I'll just take
the advice and go find a encoding someone else has done, and pray that
they havn't oversmoothed the video to remove the dotcrawl.

Fredrik