[MEncoder-users] subtitles disappear with mencoder

Stephen DiVerdi sdiverdi at cs.ucsb.edu
Mon Nov 21 12:12:45 CET 2005

>> still has the same problem.  no subtitles appear in the output video, no
>> matter what i do.
>
> vob subtitle is not supported by mencoder. You can search mplayer list
> for an old patch which was never applied. I am not sure if the patch
> could still be applied to the current code base.

i'm sorry, i'm not sure i understand your reply.  i don't believe i'm
using "vob subtitle" - you're referring to the option "-vobsubid", yes?
like i said earlier i did try that and it produced an mencoder error, as
expected, since like you said, it's not supported.  in general for my
tests i've been using this basic command line, plus variations:

mencoder dvd://16 -sid 0 -nosound -ovc lavc -o out.avi

i've now tested this with version 1.0pre7try2-3.4.3 and
dev-CVS-051119-12:02-3.4.3, with various -spu options, -vf expand=::::1,
-font settings, and so on.  in all tests the result is the same - i can
see subtitles with mplayer, but mencoder leaves them out.

also, i've seen the patch you're referring to in the mailing list
archives, but aside from whether or not it will even work on the current
codebase, i don't think it will fix the problem.  like i said originally,
i've used this setup many times successfully, burning subtitles into
ripped dvd video streams.  this is the first time i've ever experienced
this problem.

thanks,

-steve diverdi
-sdiverdi at cs.ucsb.edu