[MEncoder-users] subtitles disappear with mencoder

Phil Ehrens phil at slug.org
Wed Nov 16 17:16:56 CET 2005

Stephen DiVerdi wrote:

> hello, i've just joined the list because for the first time i'm having a
> problem with mencoder that i can't figure out for the life of me.  i've
> been using mencoder to rip dvds for a couple of years now, but this is the
> first time i've really been stuck with it.  the problem is i have a dvd (In
> The Mood For Love, if you're interested) with korean audio and english
> subtitles.  when i view it with mplayer, specifying '-sid 0' i get english
> subtitles, as expected.  however, when i use mencoder to rip it, again with
> '-sid 0', the subtitles don't appear (yes, i'm trying to burn the subtitles
> into the video stream).

Assuming you are doing something like this:

mencoder -oac copy \
         -ovc lavc \
         -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=2:autoaspect:v4mv:trell:vbitrate=1800 \
         -ofps 24000/1001 \
         -alang jp \
         -sid 0 \
         -o keiko-kitagawa-rocks.avi dvd://1

Yes, the subs should be rendered into the output video stream.
Unless you see some interesting message being spit out by mencoder?