[MEncoder-users] Encoded DVD's appear too short

Ben Nemec nemecb at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 20:26:32 CET 2005

On 11/9/05, Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:

> it won't get 'removed' anyway. the video quality will just get
> destroyed if you don't treat the content VERY CAREFULLY.
>
> you really need to READ and LEARN what you're doing before you try
> this..
>
> rich

Ah, you're right. I just remembered that I use -vf pp=lb in my
encode-to-MPEG4 command-line. Turns out that upon reading the man page that
is a deinterlacing filter. Whoops. I should have known that since the
interlaced video quality problems were exactly why I added it in the first
place. So I guess that takes care of the interlacing.

In any case, the quality of the DVDs is fine. The source video is pretty
poor but as long as I don't sit too close to the tv I don't notice.:-)

-Ben