[MEncoder-users] Problem re-encoding matroska xvid+ac3 file

Phil Oleynik Oleynik.Phil at mail.ioffe.ru
Fri May 27 19:53:16 CEST 2005

Maciej J. Woloszyk wrote:

>On Thursday 26 of May 2005 16:37, Oleynik Phil wrote:
>

>>I know your problem. I had it in the same way, with AAC sound. I solved
>>it in my special way,
>>I have an opinion that 5.1 is a little insane thing, because probably,
>>nobody has 5+1 ears ;).
>>

>Well... Maybe not ears, but I do have 5.1 sound system ;)
>Anyway - I keep my divx's with stereo sound so the method looked interesting.
>

>>So I am going to advice to downmix to stereo. You may try not to do it,
>>maybe it'll work also for 5.1.
>>
>>1. Extract PCM WAV from mkv file with mplayer.
>>

>ok.
>

>>2. Encode it with anything you wish, I used OGG
>>

>I use mp3 so I encoded with lame
>

>>3. Put it to the original matroska with --disable-lacing key.
>>

>Do you mean I should do mkvmerge taking all streams from the original mkv and
>my additional audio stream and create intermediate mkv file?
>

>>4. remix matroska without original sound, keeping your OGG stream with
>>--disable-lacing key.
>>

>...and then take the intermediate file and using mkvmerge create yet another
>mkv file with only video and new audio file?

Then take this intermediate file, and repack it to matroska excluding
buggy ac3 track.
Do not forget to add --disable-lacing! I looked now at my script, I used
also --no-tags.
Maybe it means something, maybe not.

>>5. Feed it to mencoder, as usual.
>>

>If the answer to both my questeions is "yes" then I did it and unfortunatelly
>it didn't helped - fimal mkv file is fine (no desync) but after I put it
>through mencoder to create final avi I get the same desync as without the
>whole procedure.
>
>M.

The last and ultimate one. use mkvtoolnix 1.4 or above, with 1.0.* you
won't get a result.
I tried to do it with 1.0.2 (and not only this, I spent many hours
trying to resolve a problem),
and did not succeeded at ALL. I even asked its author.

Go to http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/downloads.html to get
newest version.

Philipp