[MEncoder-users] Re: Switch from DIVX to FMP4?

PG geep at boursorama.com
Thu May 26 20:19:42 CEST 2005

RC <rcooley <at> spamcop.net> writes:

> On Wed, 11 May 2005 15:38:12 -0500
> "Jason Bodnar" <jason <at> shakabuku.org> wrote:
>

> > So did something change between pre6 and pre7 with regard to -lavcopts
> > vcodec=mpeg4? If so, what options do I need to speficy to get the DIVX
> > encode with libavcodec?
>
> The fourcc is the only thing that changed.  It's still MPEG-4 video.  If
> you need the old fourcc (eg. to be playable by the Divx codec on
> Windows), just specify "-ffourcc divx".

Hi,
Seems to me that something bad has happened between pre6 and pre7.
I have been using this command line with pre5, pre6 and now pre7.

mencoder stream.dump -ovc lavc -oac mp3lame -o stream.avi

But the .avi file generated from pre7 gives problems to both transcode and
avidemux. Previously everything was fine. (mplayer plays the file from pre7 OK).

avidemux V2.0.36 says: "Problem decompressing frame!"
transcode V0.6.14 says:
[transcode] auto-probing source stream.avi (ok)
[transcode] V: import format    | unknown RIFF data, AVI (V=(null)|A=(null))
[transcode] warning : no option -x found, option -i ignored, reading from
"/dev/zero"
[transcode] V: import frame     | 320x240  1.33:1

When I use the suggested fix all is OK :-)
mencoder stream.dump -ovc lavc -ffourcc divx -oac mp3lame -o stream.avi
works OK.
transcode is happy again:
[transcode] auto-probing source stream.avi (ok)
[transcode] V: import format    | DivX RIFF data, AVI (V=ffmpeg|A=mp3)
[transcode] V: import frame     | 320x240  1.33:1

Anyway - is this a bug of pre7 ?
Surely the .avi file produced by mencoder should be useable by transcode and
avidemux, and not just mplayer itself ?