[MEncoder-users] A/V synchronization problem using mencoder

Stefan Frings mencoder at meinemullemaus.de
Wed Mar 30 09:10:56 CEST 2005

> Please tell me what's the proper tools for copying a DVD to hard drive. Can
> MEncoder do it?

Mplayer can do it, you can also use transcode and you can use vobcopy.

I'm very familiar with transcode and got good results. I use transcode also to
reduce the file size quickly.

1) Copy Movie to harddisk and extract audio (my computer can do both in one
step with good performance) with tccat|tee|tcextract
2) Extract Video stream with tccat|tcextract
3) Reduce filesize of Video if necessary with tcrequant
4) Remultiplex Audio+Video with mplex

Now you have a mpg file with max. 4.3GB size. You can play it or you can do
the next steps:

5) Create DVD structure with dvdauthor
6) Burn DVD with growisofs

There are probably other good solutions. I dont use mplayer to rip DVD's, but
I'm sure that it can be used.