[MEncoder-users] mplayer cannot play AC3 anymore

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Mar 28 22:44:49 CEST 2005

On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 06:44:32PM +0200, Stefan Frings wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I did not exactly what you recommended but you pushed into the right
> direction. I thought that I need to use the option --enable-a52 when I
> compile ffmpeg. Now I compiled it without this option and mplayer does not
> crash anymore.
>
> But I assume that there is still a bug somewhere because other program can use
> liba52 and also ffmpeg (for example xine and transcode).

OK, sorry, the problem was somewhat different from what I expected.
Actually mplayer contains its own liba52, which conflicts with the
external one you're trying to link.

Yes, this is a bug in configure. It should not support linking
external liba52. However lamers keep wanting to do this (for no good
reason) and adding nonsense like that to configure, and none of the
real developers notice it's broken because we don't use these
options... :)

Rich