[MEncoder-users] mplayer cannot play AC3 anymore

Guillaume Poirier poirierg at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 11:25:33 CEST 2005

Hi,

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:05:41 +0200, Stefan Frings
<mencoder at meinemullemaus.de> wrote:
> Hi,
> I compiled mplayer 1.0-pre6 (cvs) with gcc 3.3.5. Mplayer crashes when I play
> mpeg movies with AC3 audio.
>
> I upgraded to gcc 3.4.4 (pre release) but it did not help.
>
> I downgraded to gcc 2.95.4 but it did not help.
>
> I tried the same with mplayer 1.0-pre6a (tar.gz) successfully with all 3 gcc
> versions. This release can playback AC3 fine but does not have
> -mpegopts that I need.
>
> The problem is reproducible on my machine. I reinstalled all of thode gcc
> versions, liba52 and also the mplayer sources a few times. The probem
> occured always on the cvs version but never on the tar.gz release.
>
> My computer is an Athlon 3000+. My linux installation is debian sarge 32 bit
> because some drivers are not available for 64 bit.
>
> I added ffmpeg-0.4.9-pre1 and libdvdcss-1.2.8. But I assume that those
> pakcages are not AC3 related.
>
> How can we find the problem cause?

I hate to tell you that, but I guess the only solution to trace the
problem is just to follow the instructions that are displayed when
MPlayer crashes; that is, recompile with debug symbols, and do a gdb
backtrace.
You can find more details here:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash

You might also want to upload a 1-2 Mb sample (just make sure this
sample triggers the same problem on CVS and plays fine with -pre6) to
ftp://mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/incoming/ as maybe there are issues with
your file, but I doubt it.

There might be better solutions than this, but I truly don't know.

Regards,
Guillaume